Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Barbecue Rubbed Salmon


When we recently moved, I was going through my spice drawer and found this really good rub I had made months ago. I figured it would be the perfect little helper for some fish when we moved in when I need something fast but didn't want to make anything elaborate. I was right! It's sweet and smoky and has just the right spice blend. This barbecue rub is really an awesome thing to have on hand and would make for a good gift come holiday time!

I used these salts in my barbecue rub and if you're around a Trader Joe's...try them...they are so good! I'm addicted! (please excuse the horrible cropping)



You can make the barbecue rub ahead of time and just use a little bit on chicken or fish right before baking or grilling. It simplifies dinner considerably! Add more cayenne pepper for a kick, if you prefer. So, key words? EASY. FAST. And really, even healthy!

This isn't really a recipe more than a guideline....I roasted my fish, but you can easily grill it skin side down.

We served the salmon with steamed broccoli, fresh yellow tomatoes and a side salad of corn, beans, and green onions.



BARBECUE RUBBED SALMON

Servings vary based on how many fillets you use.

  • Salmon fillets (wild-caught if you can get them)
  • Olive oil spray
  • Basic barbecue rub (my recipe follows)--about 1/2 Tbsp. for each fillet can be used
  • Lemon or lime wedges for serving, optional


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Spray a shallow cooking sheet pan with some cooking or olive oil spray. Place salmon skin side down on sheet. (I like to line my pans with aluminum foil--sprayed with cooking spray--to make for an easier clean-up.) Spray salmon fillets with olive oil until they are evenly covered--generally, it ends up being about 1/2 a tablespoon of rub per fillet. Gently sprinkle and pat some barbecue rub until the fillets are lightly covered.

Bake for about 15-20 minutes. Every oven seems a little different, so check for 'doneness'--that fish flakes easily around 15 minutes.

Serve with lemon or lime wedges.



BASIC BARBECUE RUB


  • 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup smoked paprika
  • 3 Tbsp. black pepper
  • 3 Tbsp. smoked salt (or regular coarse salt)
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 tsp. onion powder
  • 2 tsp. celery salt
  • ½ tsp. cayenne pepper (or more if you wish)
  • ½ tsp. chili powder
  • ½ tsp. cumin

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl—a small whisk helps break up any lumps in the brown sugar. Store in an airtight container, away from heat and light. 

Rub will keep for months!!

Use on chicken or fish. (I'm sure it would do fine on red meat, but I haven't tried it.)

Makes about 1 cup.
**If you use 1/2 a Tablespoon of rub on a piece of meat, that will give you ROUGHLY about 32 servings, as 1 cup has 16 Tablespoons (thank you Google!).

1 comment:

  1. I love salmon and can't think of nothing better to celebrate holiday with healthy flavor.

    ReplyDelete